Notes on installation of TeX3.0 on RISC6000 running 3.1

flatau flatau at handel.CS.ColoState.Edu
Tue Oct 23 17:28:18 AEST 1990

Here are my notes on  the installation of TEX3.0 on
IBM RISC6000/320 running AIX3.1

Preliminary draft 10/23/1990

Let me know if this works on other IBM RISC6000 boxes
+ corrections.

a) get tar files from

labrea.stanford.edu

ftp -i labrea.stanford.edu  (-i so you are not in prompt mode for mget)
cd tex
cd unix3.0
binary       (don't forget)
mget *       (this gets not only TeX3.0 but also fonts, etc)

cat TeX3.0* > tex3.tar.Z
rm TeX3.0*              (if you want)
uncompress tex3.tar.Z
tar -xvf tex3.tar

cd TeX3.0
print file README

b) Edit  /TeX3.0/site.h and change
#define schar char
#define schar signed short   (to fix "Value too big" error in
                              tangle tex.web ctex.ch)

change
#define BSD
#define SYSV

c) Edit several makefiles

TeX3.0/makefile
web2c/Makefile
web/Makefile
texware/Makefile
tex/Makefile
mf/Makefile
mf/MFwindow/Makefile
bibtex/Makefile
fontutil/Makefile

and change
CC=gcc
CC=cc

also
SHELL=/bin/sh
SHELL=/bin/ksh

d) Edit several files
/web2c/web2c.h
/web2c/splitup.c
/tex/extra.c
/texware/texwarext.c
/mf/extra.c
/mf/x10.c
/mf/MFwindow/x10.c
/mfware/mfwarext.c

and comment out extern sprintf() inside ifdef SYSV, i.e.
/*extern sprintf(); */

e) Easy to fix in the future but for now:
I did not compile weave --  remove in /web/Makefile  weave target
i.e.  from the line
           all: tangle weave
remove weave

and in /TeX3.0/makefile remove (web/weave)

Now you are ready to run makefile from /TeX3.0

h) Optional:
If you don't want binaries, fonts, etc to be under
/usr/local/bin,  /usr/local/lib/tex
edit /TeX3.0/site.h, /TeX3.0/makefile, /TeX3.0/Install-INPUTS
and change the names.
E.g. we are NFSing  tex executables.
To do this consitently we changed /local/ to   /node_name/

Peter