AIX LPR OPTIONS (?)

jsalter at slo jsalter at slo
Wed Oct 3 02:36:54 AEST 1990

In article <390 at ulticorp.UUCP> rick at ulticorp.UUCP (rick/1024000) writes:
>AIX is NOTTTTT System 5!!!!!!

Yes, nor is it 4.3 BSD.  Nor any other flavor of Unix, though it does a
decent job merging at least 4.3 BSD and System 5.

>The directory structure is very interesting.

The directory structure is certainly not the base to test whether a
Unix-derivative is System 5 or not.  In fact, the filesystem is the
Journalling/Journalled File System (JFS) which does a good job of being
different all by itself.

>For example, try executing
>the following commands on an RS/6000.
>	echo > This_is_a_long_filename
>	ls This*
>	od -c .
>The output from 'ls' shows the long name, but the output from 'od' shows only
>14 characters.

Yes, I know.  I opened a problem report about this a long time ago before
GA.  The reason this happens is that only the first 14 characters of a
filename are stored in the directory with a pointer off to the rest.  Since
od just reads the parameter you give it, and won't spend it's time tracing
pointers, the output you get from od is valid, it just *looks* System 5-ish.

>		| Email - !uunet!ulticorp!ultixrs!rick
>Rick Poleshuck | Voice - (201) 887-9222 Ext. 755
>		| Mail  - The Ultimate Corporation, East Hanover, NJ 07936

jim/jsalter  IBM AWD, Palo Alto  T465/(415)855-4427   VNET: JSALTER at AUSVMQ
Internet: ibmsupt!jsalter at uunet.uu.net         UUCP: ..!uunet!ibmsupt!jsalter
	"Waco is a state of mind.  Once you've gone there,
		you never come back" - Leo