NFS(between Sun SPARC Station and RS/6000)

Alan Stebbens aks at somewhere.ucsb.edu
Tue Oct 2 09:03:23 AEST 1990

In <1990Sep28.153207.12874 at world.std.com> madd at world.std.com (jim frost) writes:

>y-yokoym at sran129.sra.co.jp (Yoshiyuki yokoyama) writes:
>>We can't set up NFS between Sun SPARC Station and RS/6000.
>>Please teach us if you know how to do it.

>We didn't have any problems except that exporting to the Sun required
>using the fully-qualified hostname or else the IBM would deny access
>(ie if your host is `foo' and your domain is `bar.edu' you MUST give
>the hostname `foo.bar.edu' exports permission -- `foo' alone will not
>work).  A number of other networking tools such as rlogin show the
>same behavior.

This can be avoided by creating a local /etc/hosts file on the YP master
server which contains the "plain" names of your hosts, in addition to
the FQDN (FQDN = Fully Qualified Domain Name).  "ypserv" always consults
its maps first, after which it will do a domain query (if the host maps
were built with "makedbm -b"); thus, by placing the plain names in the
maps, they should always be resolvable.  After propogating the new host
file, all system name references via "telnet", "rlogin", and "rsh", and
mentions in configuration files like "/etc/fstab" and "/etc/exports", do
not have to be fully domain qualified.

One other problem: if "root" is in more than eight groups, many of the
configuration scripts run by SMIT will fail, especially the ones for NFS.
--

Alan Stebbens <aks at hub.ucsb.edu>