Patch tape: changes to include files

jsalter at slo jsalter at slo
Sat Oct 13 03:06:42 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct11.141906 at ead.dsa.com> schorr at ead.dsa.com (Andrew J. Schorr) writes:
>I have finally applied the patch, and I noticed some
>strange changes to include files.  In <sys/time.h> and
><sys/ioctl.h>, there are 2 #ifdef's based on a new (to me)
>preprocessor symbol: _BSD_INCLUDES.  It was my understanding
>that _BSD was the appropriate symbol to define for BSD
>compatibility.  Should I be defining _BSD_INCLUDES as well,
>or is this a screw-up?

Ah, hah!  The rationale for this is the following:

	There is some source in AIXv3.1 that requires the _BSD symbol
	to be defined.  Unfortunately, I identified a whole bunch of
	header files that did not conform with 4.3 BSD (which everyone
	wanted so much).  So, because we really didn't have time to
	recompile EVERYTHING that required the _BSD macro and then test
	and make sure they all worked (this would be a major release,
	not an incremental update), all new 4.3 BSD stuff in the header
	files were put under this new define _BSD_INCLUDES.  There was
	also some 4.3 BSD stuff that was there, but not in the proper
	place and it was integrated into the header files with having
	to put it inside the defines.

	If you look in the BSD Porting document (/usr/lpp/bos/bsdport)
	with the Sept. update, you'll notice that _BSD_INCLUDES is in
	the 'bsdcc' compiler invocation.  This will all be integrated
	back into a single define in 3.2.  Of course, then we have to
	worry about what 4.4 is doing, but hey...

>-Andy

jim/jsalter  IBM AWD, Palo Alto  T465/(415)855-4427   VNET: JSALTER at AUSVMQ
Internet: jsalter at slo.awdpa.ibm.com         UUCP: ..!uunet!ibmsupt!jsalter
	"Waco is a state of mind.  Once you've gone there,
		you never come back" - Leo