Trouble printing on RISC System/6000

Robert Schwartz bob at menno.bethelks.edu
Wed Oct 17 05:58:21 AEST 1990

Some of the users on our machine have been having problems printing
lately.  The lp program spits some response on the terminal about the
job having output to stderr and gives a mail message (contents of which
follows).  Anyway, we've found out that if you change your password
(even to the same as the current one) log out and then login again you
can print fine for awhile.  My question is: Does it look like I set
something up wrong or is this a bug or just a strange quirk of my
machine.  For the record its a POWERstation 320 hooked (parallel) to an
IBM Proprinter XL24e.

Contents of mail message follows:
( it was sent to user "ewy" from user "ewy"  "*" are mine)

* Message from qdaemon:
* =====> MESSAGE FROM PRINT JOB 188 (STDIN.9496) <=====
* 0782-045 DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION:
*
* ewy: is not an identifier
*
* ==>    ABOVE IS STANDARD ERROR OUTPUT     <==
* ==> GENERATED BY THE PIPELINE SHOWN BELOW <==
*
* PIPELINE FOR PRINT FILE /usr/spool/qdaemon/tJRgARP:
* /usr/lpd/pio/etc/pioformat
*    -@/usr/lpd/pio/ddi/4208-2.asc.lp0.lp0:lp0
*    -!/usr/lpd/pio/fmtrs/piof420x
*    -l66
*    -w136  |
* /usr/lpd/pio/etc/pioout
*    -A0
*    -B4027
*    -C14688
*
* FLAG VALUES:
* a=0, b=0, d=a, e=!, f=, g=1, i=0, j=1, l=66, p=10, q=1, t=0, v=6, w=136, x=2,
* y=!, A=1, B=nn, C=!, E=!, J=+, K=!, L=+, N=1, O=2, P=lp0:lp0, W=!, X=850, Z=+

Any help that can be offered will be appreciated.
Robert Schwartz			email:  bob at menno.bethelks.edu
Dept. of Computer Science		...uunet!ncrlnk!ncrwic!menno!bob
Bethel College
N. Newton, KS 67117