IBM AIX 1.2 PS/2 X.25 installation - no success so far

Anssi Porttikivi porttiki at cs.Helsinki.FI
Fri Oct 5 16:12:31 AEST 1990

Help appreciated!

We have a PS/2 Model 80-111 the sole purpose of which is to run a public
access AIX 1.2 operating system with IBM X.25 expansion card and IBM AIX
X.25 software (the only release).  The phone company publishes the
service today in its networks.  We have been trying to set up the system
for a week now, with no success.  The installation is simple, done
according the little guidance there is in the Managing The Operating
System manual.

But when somebody calls us via the X.25 network, our machine does not
establish a connection but gives a console error message

can't set CLOCAL
getty sleeping

When we try to set the CLOCAL parameter for the X.25 related virtual
terminals ttya0-ttya8 manually, the stty command halts and we have to
interrupt it.

The phone company has tested that the frame level, i.e. the data link
layer of the software is working but the higher packet level is not.  We
are not experts in X.25 and our unix wizardry is limited.

I have a 19 diskette maintenance update for the operating system and
plan to install that next, but I am afraid that there is a simple
configuration error somewhere.