Telnet negotiation - Not a defect: a feature!

Brian D. Horn brian at cygnus.la.locus.com
Sun Oct 14 03:48:48 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct12.171007.14012 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> resnick at cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) writes:
>environment variable. Unfortunately, IBM has decided that the /bin/login,
>which executes after telnetd is done, look up the terminal type in
>/etc/ports and kludge whatever telnetd has set. This makes the implementing
>RFC 1091 absolutely useless.

	Unfortunately I have no ready access to an RS/6000, but both
AIX/370 and AIX/PS/2 DO correctly implement terminal type negotiation in
telnet.  If the RS/6000 does not it is a BUG and should be fixed.  If the
IBM service rep gives you grief, point out that the 6000 is family
incompatible in this respect.