Token ring to Ethernet?

Kevin P. Kleinfelter kevin at msa3b.UUCP
Thu Sep 6 21:10:01 AEST 1990

JJDAVIS at cc.utah.edu writes:

>How can an IBM token ring LAN connect to an Ethernet broadband for TCP/IP
>communication?

>There is some interest in connecting several RISC/6000s together in a LAN
>with token ring, but the LAN will also need to connect to the campus Ethernet
>broadband.  The RISC/6000s will use the Internet protocol suite.

Am I missing something???  Why not just put an Ethernet card and a
token-ring card in one of your 6000s?  In fact, even an RT can handle this,
as I attended an IBM training class where 1/2 the lab was on Ethernet and
1/2 the lab was on TR, and there was an RT as a gateway between the two
halves.  We have a 6000 with both TR and ethernet (but I haven't gotten
around to using the ethernet board yet!)

--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Dun and Bradstreet Software, Inc (404) 239-2347
{emory,gatech}!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

"Don't hold your finger on the button if the motor ain't goin' roundy-roundy."