chown broken in 3.1 ?

Peter Jeffe 512.823.4091 jeffe at sandino.austin.ibm.com
Fri Sep 7 03:31:05 AEST 1990

In article <384 at morpho.UUCP> larry at morpho.UUCP (Larry Morris) writes:
>The chown() call now requires that co have root permissions in order to
>perform the chown.  In my case, although co "owns" the file the chown()
>returns EPERM (obvious, but not listed in the man pages).  As usual IBM
>says tough, it works as documented.  Who cares if it acts like unix?
>
>I can see where this might fix some serious security holes inherent with
>remote file systems, but does the rest of the world do this?  Or is this
>another one of IBM's better ideas?

Well, BSD systems work this way, but I believe SysV doesn't.  The idea is
that it prevents users from evading quotas by "giving away" their files.
And yes, IBM changed the behavior of chown() in AIX3 to make it act like
*BSD* (and POSIX) Unix.  Believe me, it caused problems for us as well, but
we'll both have to live with it, as applications on BSDish systems do.