DOS/Merge & NFS problem under AIX 1.2 on PS/2

Ben Fried ben at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu
Thu Sep 13 02:12:41 AEST 1990

In article <1518 at edc.edc.UUCP> sda at edc.UUCP (Stephen Ayers) writes:
> I am having problems accessing NFS mounted files from DOS/Merge under
> AIX 1.2 on PS/2's. (updates throught 1005 installed)
>
> It happens when I have an NFS mounted volume from a Sun and I try running
> any DOS application to access a file in that directory. This includes
> simple programs like "type". Each time DOS just hangs and must be killed.

Hooooo boy!  Have I ever had problems with DOS/Merge and NFS!
First, make sure that rpc.lockd and rpc.statd are running on the Sun;
DOS/Merge seems to do a lot of file locking, and if Merge can't get a
lock, it just waits until it can - thus things "freeze".  Once, I even
had to restart lockd on a machine that was not mounted by the server or
the client, in order to get Merge to start working again.

Second, make sure that the NFS-mounted files' paths don't have capital
letters in them.  That's right - I've been able to consistently get
DOS/Merge to crap out when accessing directories with a mixed-case path.
Totally bogus.

> Sometimes a warning message about inodes being too large to fit into
> shorts is displayed.

I've never seen this message - well, I don't think I have, but my
messages files fill up really quickly.

> Has anyone else run across this problem? Is there a solution?

I've reported the problems to IBM's software support center, but haven't
gotten anything back other than that they will look at it, and that the
1006 update may solve these problems.  I have the 1006 update - it's 22
disks, because it includes the 1005 update.  I'm not up to another half
day updatep session.

> Thanks!

Good luck.

Ben