What UIDs to use for NIS/YP users.

Steve Roseman lusgr at vax1.cc.lehigh.edu
Wed Sep 12 02:39:01 AEST 1990

We are in the process of converting staff workstations to use NIS (YP)
services for validation and file access.  The master server system and most of
the clients are SUN machines, with a few RS/6000 clients.

The question for discussion is: Which UIDs and group numbers should be used?
SUN starts UIDs with 100, AIX with 200, with 'special' ones starting at 0,
guest at 100, and lpd at 104.  Does it really matter (as long, of course, they
are consistent?) It's probably easier at this time to change my ownerships on
my AIX system, but I don't want to get burned by 'reserved' entries in the 100
range later on.

Thanks for any advise, and I apologize if this has been discussed recently.
I only started worrying about the problem today.

Steve