maximum of 10 concurrent memory mapped files

Andrew J. Schorr schorr at ead.dsa.com
Sat Sep 22 08:51:56 AEST 1990

I have verified this limitation, and it seems like a pretty
serious one to me.  It would seem
that there are at least 2 ways to solve this problem: 1. don't
require a segment register for memory mapping a file; 2. find some
way of swapping segments in and out of the registers (i.e. virtual
segments).  Frankly, I just don't see why an entire segment must be
devoted to a single memory mapping; I'm sure this is an implementation
issue, but I think this ought to be corrected.  Perhaps I'm alone in
feeling this way, but to me, memory mapping is an important tool for
improving performance.

-Andy