Rumour about IBM benchmarks

Michael Herman mherman at alias.UUCP
Sat Sep 15 11:17:20 AEST 1990

I think the confusion probably comes from the fact that author and
keeper of the Linpack benchmark actually keeps two sets of numbers:
(1) the results from running the benchmark on a virgin copy of the
benchmark source and (2) the results from hand optimizing a copy of
the virgin source.

I don't have the name of the person but the whole thing was covered
in a recent issue of Supercomputing magazine.  It include a couple
pages of results for single and multi-processor machines.

I can also atest (sp?) that the RS/6000 benchmark numbers are true.