using an RT as an X terminal

MINICH ROBERT JOHN minich at d.cs.okstate.edu
Fri Sep 14 09:32:40 AEST 1990

Please respond with e-mail to minich at x.cs.okstate.edu

  I'm trying to get an RT running X Windows to act as a server to a client on
another machine. I am having difficulty getting the client to find the host
display. Details:

host: RT "f.cs.okstate.edu" running X Windows
client: anything X-ish sitting on a Sequent "x.cs.okstate.edu"

The RT thinks the display name is "unix:0" but this is meaningless outside that
particular machine. I've tried to get it to allow other clients by using
"xhost +x.cs.okstate.edu" and "xhost +", but I still get an error from the
client saying it couldn't open the display, "f.cs.okstate.edu:0". What exactly
is necessary to get these machines to work together? I've RTFM'd the IBM X
manuals, but they weren't about to say anything useful. After grep'ing the
entire disk, I found the xinit shell script set the DISPLAY enviornment variable
to "unix:0" and I changed that to "f.cs.okstate.edu:0" and that seems to work
fine, but still no luck getting anything on the Sequent up on the screen.
  Are the /etc/X*.host files ABSOLUTELY necessary, or is my assumption that
using xhost to open the access up valid? I'm not a sys admin, so I need the
correct solution to take to one OR something I can do.

Thanks,

--
|_    /| | Robert Minich            |"If, one day, all arguments were
|\'o.O'  | Oklahoma State University|suddenly resolved, a new topic