behavior of file(1) in AIX PS/2 v1.1

Richard M. Mathews richard at locus.com
Mon Sep 24 16:44:43 AEST 1990

vlcek at athena.mit.edu (Jim C Vlcek) writes:

>I'm running AIX PS/2 v1.1 on a Model 80, and noticed a rather
>disturbing thing: file(1) changes the "change" time on files if the
>user is the owner of those files.

>I'm sure this is not the intended behavior (it doesn't do it on the
>4.3BSD systems I work on).  Someone please tell me this is fixed in v1.2?

This is a feature inherited from System V.  It appears that it was decided
that access time was more important to preserve than change time.  The
code uses utime() to set the access time back to its original value after
the file has been read.  This has not been changed in 1.2.

Richard M. Mathews
Locus Computing Corporation
richard at locus.com
lcc!richard at seas.ucla.edu