NFS(between Sun SPARC Station and RS/6000)

jim frost madd at world.std.com
Sat Sep 29 01:32:07 AEST 1990

y-yokoym at sran129.sra.co.jp (Yoshiyuki yokoyama) writes:
>We can't set up NFS between Sun SPARC Station and RS/6000.
>Please teach us if you know how to do it.

We didn't have any problems except that exporting to the Sun required
using the fully-qualified hostname or else the IBM would deny access
(ie if your host is `foo' and your domain is `bar.edu' you MUST give
the hostname `foo.bar.edu' exports permission -- `foo' alone will not
work).  A number of other networking tools such as rlogin show the
same behavior.

Note that if root has its shell as /bin/ksh and a user whose home
directory is NFS mounted from the Sun tries to `su', ksh will hang and
create a hell of a lot of NFS traffic until the ksh is killed.
Changing root's shell to /bin/csh corrected the problem for us.

jim frost
saber software
jimf at saber.com