PS/2 Internal Tape Drive

HAAS hh2 at prism.gatech.EDU
Sat Sep 1 02:44:19 AEST 1990

In article <247 at dean1.usma.edu> you write:

>Can aix 1.2 talk to the internal tape unit?  That's the one that sits
>in the second drive bay on a model 70.  If so, what device does it
>respond to?
>
>Jack Robertson

It seems that IBM must have forgotten this drive when they put together
AIX. After much searching I found that I had to file an RPQ (?) with IBM.
For me, all this meant was calling my IBM rep and giving her this number:
Model DGL, RPQ# P91038, and agree to pay $17.50 when the disk arrives.
What I got was the "IBM AIX/PS/2 Internal Tape Device Driver 5799-DGL"
Now this was back when I was running Ver. 1.1, so 1.2 MAY have the
driver built in. I beleive you would find it under: /usr/lpp/itbu

The driver works fairly well, but you cannot mount the drive, only
backup and restore to/from it. Also the documentation on the RPQ is
vertually non-existant. You have to read through the file:
/usr/lpp/itbu/doc/itdu.man (the manual page that comes with it.)

Hope this helps.

Harry Haas
--
Harry Haas  GTRI/RIDL/DB         "What makes it DO that!?" - Bones
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!hh2