Problem getting GNU Emacs compiled on RS/6000

John William Garnett garnett at cs.utexas.edu
Tue Sep 4 07:11:55 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep2.040738.10188 at eplrx7.uucp> mroz at eplrx7.uucp (Peter Mroz) writes:
>I'm having a problem trying to compile gnu emacs on an IBM 530 RISC/6000.
[some comments deleted]
>$ make -f xmakefile all
>ld -o temacs dispnew.o scroll.o xdisp.o window.o term.o cm.o
[several lines of object module names removed here]
>0706-221 WARNING:  Import version of 'PC' replaced by local definition.
>0706-221 WARNING:  Import version of 'ospeed' replaced by local definition.
[numerous warnings removed here]

The solution to this problem is to use cc instead of ld.  I'm not sure why
this is so, but it did solve the problem for me.  Just replace all instances
of ld in the makefile with cc.

--
John Garnett
                              University of Texas at Austin