pty prob: was X11R4 xterm prob

Jeff W. Boote boote at bierstadt.scd.ucar.edu
Sat Sep 29 08:09:48 AEST 1990

Follow up to:
  <    I ported X11R4 to the 6000 and I'm having a problem with xterm.  Every
  <once in a while I get the following error mesg:
  <
  <Warning: no access to tty; thus no job control in this shell...
  <
  <And true to the error mesage I have all kinds of problems with that shell.
  <It almost acts like I have two shells that keep swapping back and
  <forth without any warning.  Has anyone else seen this message or have any
  <idea what I can do to fix it?  Is this a system configuration problem/ an
  <R4 problem or what?

    The consensus around here is that the problem has something to do
with a pty allocation problem.  A few of the times when I recieved the
"Warning: no access to tty; thus no job control in this shell..." error
more garbage was written on the screen.  It looked like the output from
a program.  This leads me to believe that the last time that pty was used
it wasn't released completely (via hangup or whatever ioctl call should
close it).  This would also explain the other problem I was having with
the xterm, it appeared like there were two shells and the window would
flip between the two irregularly.

Soooo, my question is this:
	How do I check to see if this is really the problem?
	How do I correct this problem (if I can)?
	Is this an AIX bug or is xterm trying to allocate pty's wrong?

Jeff W. Boote                    NCAR/SCD
boote at ncar.ucar.edu           Boulder, Colo