how can I disable a login?

Herbert van den Bergh hbergh at oracle.nl
Fri Sep 14 20:27:38 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep13.141416.12727 at caen.engin.umich.edu> wross at engin.umich.edu (Wendy Ross) writes:
  >According to the chuser info page, setting login=false
  >only prevents the user from executing the login command.
That's not what the chuser info page on our system says.
It says:
	 login  Indicates whether the user specified by the Name parameter ca
     log into the system with the login command.  Possible values are:

         yes  The user can log into the system.  You can substitute the true
     keyword or the always keyword for the yes keyword.

         no  The user cannot log into the system. You can substitute the fals
		      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     keyword or the never keyword for the no keyword.

(Note the missing characters at the end of the line. I always get that
 when printing from InfoExplorer. Don't you?)

  >I found out just a couple of weeks ago that when a user
  >telnets in to the machine, /bin/login *is not* executed!!!
  >(Apparently it is the same with rlogin).
It is executed on our system. You get the login: prompt, and if you type the
user id of the user with "login=false", it still logs in, without
prompting for a password, because that was empty.
If you login on the serial tty, it WILL prompt you for a password,
and whatever you type, you're never logged in.
That's the way it should be via telnet and rlogin as well.

  >There are two other parameters that you may set with chuser
  >that I think will solve your problem.
  >chuser rlogin=false telnet=false user
No, they don't, because they will prevent a user that IS logged in from
using these commands.

  >Wendy Ross
  >internet: wross at caen.engin.umich.edu
  ><Insert Amusing Quip Here>

Thanks,

--
Herbert van den Bergh, ORACLE Europe	hbergh at oracle.nl, hbergh at oracle.com
Rijnzathe 6, NL-3454 PV De Meern	uunet!mcsun!orcenl!hbergh