Network install of image backup

James Nau james at engrss2.unl.edu
Tue Sep 11 01:08:24 AEST 1990

Does anyone know how to successfully install a system over the network?

I have a cluster of RS/6000's, and I'd like to configure 1 machine, back
it up, then, use that backup to install the other machines.  I have the
BOSBOOT, CONSOLE, and Inst/Maint diskettes.  I can get the "client" machine
booted using these, and connect to the "server".  Then, I got some error
messages about not being able to create /dev/null (ouch!).  I edited
the scripts to get rid of that problem.  So, I've got a file in
/tmp/netback/risc_sys/3.1 called try1.  I modified the choices files to
say /tmp/netback/*/*/*, and it listed /tmp/netback/risc_sys/3.1/try1 as a
choice 1.  I could select it (it even put the '>>>' on it).  But, when I
went to continue, it said that I must choose a BOS or class(?) before
continuing.  THen I changed my try1 to be bos.obj to see what that would do.
Well, it continued, but then soon ended with another error.

I guess what I'm asking, is has anyone ever installed a system from another
systems' backup (not from the installation kits).  From what I can gather,
it's supposed to be possible.  A quote from one document "IF you have a
system that is already installed and customized and which you want to
propagate, you can create an image of the entire system. ...  This will
create one large file in backup format which a client machine can install."

Thanks for any help
James Nau
College of Engineering, University of Nebraska--Lincoln

james at engrs.unl.edu