Mail problem in AIX PS/2 V1.2

John William Garnett garnett at cs.utexas.edu
Sat Sep 8 06:19:08 AEST 1990

In article <5057 at mit-caf.MIT.EDU> vlcek at mit-caf.UUCP (Jim Vlcek) writes:
>I've gotten a number of replies to my question about a sticky mail
>problem with AIX PS/2 V1.2, in which all mail sent to the machine
>bounces with the following retort:
>From: MAILER-DAEMON at foobar.mit.edu (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
>Subject: Returned mail: Service unavailable
>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
><<< 553 foobar.mit.edu Do not communicate with self
>554 <root at FOOBAR.MIT.EDU>... Service unavailable: No such file or directory
>People first suspected the name and domain macro and class definitions
>in sendmail.cf, so here's what I've got there:
>Dwfoobar
>Cwfoobar
[ remainder of message deleted ]

I have received this same message in the past.  My mistake
was to use only one argument to the Cw macro when it actually
requires two (or none).  It appears that this may be the problem you
are experiencing.

I would try "Cw foobar barfoo" or just "Cw".

Make sure to recompile the sendmail database after changing
sendmail.cf.  I believe you can do this with "/usr/lib/sendmail -bz"
and "/usr/lib/sendmail -bi".  You might also want to restart
the sendmail daemon (not sure if this is necessary or not).

You should also run the hostname command to make sure that
your host sees itself as foobar.mit.edu.

--
John Garnett
                              University of Texas at Austin