Kermit for RISC/6000

Glenn R. Stone gs26 at prism.gatech.EDU
Sat Sep 29 05:57:49 AEST 1990

In <1990Sep27.173253.2652 at eplrx7.uucp> mroz at eplrx7.uucp (Peter Mroz) writes:

>Is Kermit available for the RISC/6000?  We have a version that only lets us
>download files to AIX; not the other way.

Kermit 4E(072) from watsun.cc.columbia.edu (ftp, I'll be glad to go get the
UUCP info if necessary) compiles and runs on AIX 3.1 9021 using the
System V stuff... make sys3nid will work with one change, namely
somewhere there is a

#ifdef undef

that you have to change to an

#ifdef NEVERDEFFED

to get it to compile.... and the xlc open() call is rather picky
about expecting the device on the other end of the serial port
to look something like a modem (probably more a function of the
serial driver than the call itself), but it works....

Warning: do NOT attempt to get it to compile Berkeleyish,
the POSIX line disciplines under AIX are not what Kermit
expects to see.... the resulting binary will run, but you'll
have buffered I/O to your console... much easier to just
compile System V than to try tweaking fcntl()'s and ioctl()'s...

Glenn R. Stone, the guy with a flat head from banging
                it against Kermit all week.
glenns at eas.gatech.edu, gs26 at prism.gatech.edu