Disk Fragmentation Under AIX 3

Kevin P. Kleinfelter kevin at msa3b.UUCP
Sat Sep 1 01:17:49 AEST 1990

AIX V3 has this nice featury which allows me to extend the size of my
partitions dynamically.  I've been merrily using it to extend some of
my partitions a few meg at a time.  At this point, I imagin that physically,
I must have fragments of various filesystems intermixed.  Sooner or later,
I'm going to need to de-fragment the disk.

Without the dynamic extensions, I would just backup, mkfs, and restore
(well, actually I'd backup, backup, backup, mkfs, and restore!)

Will I also need to delete the partitions and recreate them?

Also, since several installs have extended the root partition, there are
probably root fragments scattered around the physical disk.  Am I going to
have to re-install?  "info" provides little advice on the obvious searches on
this topic.
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Dun and Bradstreet Software, Inc (404) 239-2347
{emory,gatech}!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

"Don't hold your finger on the button if the motor ain't goin' roundy-roundy."