Slimming down a file system

Dale Hubler hubler at galaxy.lerc.nasa.gov
Sat Apr 6 01:01:18 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr4.192525.28679 at panix.uucp> eravin at panix.uucp (Ed Ravin) writes:
>During the install process on my PowerServer 520, the installer slurped
>up all the free file system space and gave it to /usr.  But once I've
>removed the preloads and other junk I don't want, there's lots of
>space left over I would rather put in /u or elsewhere.  Playing around
>in smit and looking through the documentation, it seems IBM only supplies
>commands to expand file systems, not shrink them.  Do I have to roll the
>whole thing out to tape and recreate it?  Has anyone else here encountered
>this?
>
>--
Yes, we had the same problem.  According to the 3003 instructions you need
nearly 30M free in /usr.  When our upgrade was finished it was nearly
all still unused.  Not only that, I mistakenly allowed SMIT to automatically
increase and then chose the info upgrade, though we have the CD infoexplorer.
I had to backup the filesystem, remove /dev/hd2 and re-create it, and then
restore.

I did;

shutdown -Fm
umount /usr
rmfs /usr
mklv -y hd2 -L'/usr' rootvg 21  -- the 21 LP's at 4M each gave me a
                                   filesystem of 84M
mkfs /dev/hd2
mount /usr
and then I restored it.

This was how my local SE said to do it and it worked just fine.  That
was after I fouled it up myself and couldn't boot for 1/2 the prior day.
At least I managed to recover from my first error.  I made sure I had
2 backups also, just in case.

Have an average day!
Dale Hubler

--
Dale A. Hubler  --  Sverdrup Technology  --  (216) 977-7014
                                             hubler at galaxy.lerc.nasa.gov
Try Eggo brand Common Sense Oat Bran frozen waffles, it's the health
food of the 90's