logging off idle users...

Mark Whetzel markw at airgun.wg.waii.com
Sat Apr 13 02:38:01 AEST 1991

In article <3727 at d75.UUCP>, woan at nowhere (Ronald S Woan) writes:
> In article <DiRRZ1w163w at scona> root at scona (Corey Wirun) writes:
> >I seem to recall somewhere that under AIX3.1 on the RS/6000 that you
> >could set something up that users that were idle for more than a
> >specified time could be logged off.
> >
> >Could someone point me in the right direction to do this?
>
> Perhaps the ksh TMOUT environment variable being specified in
> /etc/profile?

Ah yes... and the INFO hypertext document finds this under:
"Parameter Substitution in the Bourne Shell" or
"Parameter Substitution in the Korn Shell"
(Nice descriptive header for envionment variables don't you think ? :-)
(BTW: Envionment variables for csh are documented in:
"Predefined and Environmental Variables in the C Shell (csh command)"
  consistant yes??? :-)

Note that the Bourne shell envionment variable is spelled
TIMEOUT=
and sets the value in minutes. When expire interval is reached the
shell simply exits.

The Korn shell envionment variable is spelled
TMOUT=
and specifies the value in SECONDS!  Not minutes as specified in the
hypertext doc.  See DOC APAR IX17357 for notes that indicate that the
expire limit is documented wrong and that you get a warning message
and 60 additional seconds to enter more commands before the shell exits.

Is this the same for other implementations of ksh?

Anybody know if the csh (on AIX) has such a beast?  Info searches do not
find anything.

--
Mark Whetzel     My comments are my own, not my company's.
Western Geophysical - A division of Western Atlas International,
A Litton/Dresser Company           DOMAIN addr: markw at airgun.wg.waii.com
				   UUNET address:  uunet!airgun!markw