"rsh" question

Melinda Shore shore at theory.tn.cornell.edu
Sun Apr 14 00:21:58 AEST 1991

In article <23452 at oolong.la.locus.com> johnk at locus.com (John Kim) writes:
>When I tried to invoke rsh on a machine in different network,
>I got error message "Permission Denied".
>There are .rhosts files in local and remote machines and
>entries are correct.

Assuming that your login ids are identical on both machines (or that
you're passing your remote login id through correctly), chances are
that your .rhost file on the remote is *not* correct.  Try telnetting
in to the remote and running "who".  The last field in each record
contains the software's notion of how to identify remote machines.
Use that (keeping in mind, of course, that if the machine name in
the who output is truncated you'll need to flesh it out).
--
                    Software longa, hardware brevis
Melinda Shore - Cornell Information Technologies - shore at theory.tn.cornell.edu