<None>

hoberoi at eagle.wesleyan.edu hoberoi at eagle.wesleyan.edu
Sun Apr 21 09:34:36 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr17.192557.5133 at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, kakazu at theory.tn.cornell.edu (Gary Kakazu) writes:

> It appears that if a Fortran program calls a C program, and the C
> program calls the routine getenv, the program crashes.  If I comment
 [....]

yep ! it does crash. I discovered this problem when I rebuilt the VOGLE
library. Turns out that this bug (?) got introduced, after we applied the most
recent update of the operating system (3.1.0003). Older EXECUTABLES function ok
but relinking with the older version of the library crashes the programs.
xde traces the problem to the call to getenv. Only mixing C code with FORTRAN
crashes the programs.

Here is the bit of code with the error message from xde:

-----X-----X-----

char path[120], *flib;

 if ((flib = getenv("VFONTLIB")) == (char *)NULL) {
  strcpy(path, FONTLIB);
  strcat(path, fontname);
 } else {
  strcpy(path, flib);

segmentation violation in move._move at 0x10003d34
0x10003d34 (_move+0xec) 7d00052a       stsx   r8,r0,r0
[using soft_stat.char]

Lucky us that we saved all our earlier executables !!!
sigh!

Himanshu.