3-rd party 8mm Drives

Paul Amaranth amaranth at vela.acs.oakland.edu
Sat Apr 13 03:45:09 AEST 1991

In article <1397 at cameron.egr.duke.edu> jpe at egr.duke.edu (John P. Eisenmenger) writes:
 ... deleted stuff ...
>Yes.  As it turns out, IBM decided the standard Exabyte PROM was a bit
>crufty so they replaced it with their own.  A standard SCSI 8mm drive
>will therefore not work with the RS/6000.  The two options 3rd-party
>vendors have are: to write a device driver for their drive, or to make
>their tape drive work like IBM's.

The (oh no!) April 1 issue of _Unix Today_ has an ad on page 72 for
ICE Communications which talks about "low cost" add ons for the 6000,
including Exabyte and DAT.  I have no experience with this company,
but I thought the ad interesting enough to pull for my tickler file.
It looks like they wrote their own drivers.  The wording on the ad seems
a bit strange ..., but maybe that's just me.  Anyone know anything about
these folks?

--
Paul Amaranth  office: (313) 370 4541 (also voicemail)
(internet)     amaranth at vela.acs.oakland.edu  | WANTED: Clever saying