Where does getty get its information?

John F Haugh II jfh at greenber.austin.ibm.com
Fri Apr 5 05:31:29 AEST 1991

In article <6 at kb2ear.ampr.org> elr at kb2ear.ampr.org (Ed Ravin) writes:
>A look at the protections on the tty devices shows that they're set to
>rw-rw--w-, or owner and group read/write, but outsiders write only.  If
>I chmod the tty device to 666 then Kermit works fine, but after a user
>signs on and off again, (and getty is restarted), the protection goes
>back to -w- (write only) for outsiders.

You need to run Kermit set-[UG]ID so it can take control of the port you
are trying to access.  This is how most of the other commands which
work with ttys operate.  Also, you need to modify Kermit so it uses the
tty-locking routines which the system comes with.  These are used by
getty (tsm) and UUCP - if you don't do this you will find Kermit getting
in the way of other applications.
--
John F. Haugh II      |      I've Been Moved     |    MaBellNet: (512) 838-4340
SneakerNet: 809/1D064 |          AGAIN !         |      VNET: LCCB386 at AUSVMQ