Questions On Resource Allocation And Groups In AIX

W. W. Looi looi at sutro.SFSU.EDU
Mon Apr 22 03:28:38 AEST 1991

I was delegated to perform system administration job while we're in the
process of hiring a fulltime System Administrator (send me resume, if
you have system administration experience with AIX), and I have a couple
questions regarding resource allocation and groups.

May someone enligthen me on how I should go about allocating the following
resources? (entries in SMIT)

Max File Size
Max CPU Time
Max Data Segment
Max Stack Size
Max Core File Size
Max Physical Memory

I notice there is a default setting in /etc/limits. Is the default
setting ideal for a production environment? What about development
environment?

Another question that I have is about groups. There are 8 default groups
in /etc/groups, but I can't seem to find the definition for each of the
group. I'm particularly interested in knowing the differences between
system and sys, and staff and usr.

I appreciate all your time and help.

-an inexperienced sysadm

p/s Does anyone know IBM is working on a Redbook for System
Administrators?