Printing to an HP LaserJet II/III

Johnie Wardlaw wardlaw at kaos.UUCP
Fri Apr 19 11:38:51 AEST 1991

I am having some difficulty in getting an HP LaserJet II or HP LaserJet III
to print correctly on an IBM RT running AIX v2.2.  I have tinkered with the
options to /usr/lpd/piobe in /etc/qconfig and with the options available
using the "devices" command but none of them will correct the problem I am
having with telling the HP LaserJet to force a carriage return after a form
feed.  This works correctly with our IBM RS/6000 with AIX v3.1 but not on
the RT system.

I did find the escape sequence the HP LaserJet needs to enable this option
but sending it to the printer before calling the piobe backend ejects a blank
page each time I print.  Fortunately I can send the escape sequence directly
to the printer device once and it doesn't get reset unless it is turned off.
That is fine for now as a work-around but I would like to take advantage of
the special print features of HP LaserJet printers.

Is there a public domain backend for HP LaserJet printers available via
anonymous ftp?  Is there a commercial backend available? Any help, advice,
or information would be greatly appreciated.  If there is enough interest
in this subject, I can also post a summary.

Thanks in advance!

-- Johnie

|    Johnie Wardlaw, Senior Partner/Programmer, Alchemy Software Designs     |
| Internet |      wardlaw at kaos.UUCP       | "Wow.  It's like you're reading  |
|   UUCP   | ...ucsd!ucrmath!kaos!wardlaw |  my mind, man!" -- Bart Simpson  |