"rsh" question

Kai Ng ng at cfd.di.nrc.ca
Tue Apr 16 04:58:35 AEST 1991

In article <23452 at oolong.la.locus.com>, johnk at locus.com (John Kim) writes:
|> When I tried to invoke rsh on a machine in different network,
|> I got error message "Permission Denied".
|> There are .rhosts files in local and remote machines and
|> entries are correct.  Also I can telnet to the remote machine with
|> no problem.

It sounds like accounts for the same user in different machines have different
user number though same id (e.g. user number = 2003 and user id = johnk).

When you telnet, normally user id is used. However when rsh or rlogin,
user number is used.

Side question: How come I can never reply by mail to addresses like
johnk at locus.com or somebody at somehost.awdpa.ibm.com ? They all bounced back
with host unknown error.