SHUTDOWN on AIX 3.1

Ronald S Woan woan at exeter.austin.ibm.com
Tue Apr 23 14:31:27 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr17.130522.26957 at uvm.edu> moore at emily.uvm.edu (Bryan Moore) writes:
>I would like to give users on my system the ability to do a
>'shutdown' from a $ prompt. I've tried setting up a script
>which sets the users id to root and group id to system, and
>then calls shutdown, but thi doesn't work. Can someone let
>me know if this is possible, and if so how?

Offhand, I seem to recall that setuid shell scripts are not allowed
(won't function) under AIX 3.1 for security reasons, so you'll have to
write a C (or whatever) wrapper around it.

+ Ronald S. Woan                woan at cactus.org or woan at austin.vnet.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +