Slimming down a file system

Geoff Coleman geoff at edm.uucp
Tue Apr 9 01:52:22 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr4.192525.28679 at panix.uucp> eravin at panix.uucp (Ed Ravin) writes:
>During the install process on my PowerServer 520, the installer slurped
>up all the free file system space and gave it to /usr.  But once I've
>removed the preloads and other junk I don't want, there's lots of
>space left over I would rather put in /u or elsewhere.  Playing around
>in smit and looking through the documentation, it seems IBM only supplies
>commands to expand file systems, not shrink them.  Do I have to roll the
>whole thing out to tape and recreate it?  Has anyone else here encountered
>this?

	Yes you do have to roll it out to tape and rebuild it. But that is
where the fun begins. To do any filesystem modification you need to have
/usr mounted (IBM seems to have stuck a lot of mandatory stuff under /usr
like the logical volume management stuff). This means you have to create
a new FS of the size you want for /usr and then copy over the old /usr
stuff to the new /usr. You then need to modify all of the files which think
/usr is the present LV to make them think that it is the new LV.
	Then it's time to reboot the machine and pray.

Geoff Coleman
Unexsys Systems