It is time for FAQ - I will try to maintain

Bjorn Engsig bengsig at dkunix9.dk.oracle.com
Mon Apr 8 22:01:05 AEST 1991

I guess the most frequently asked question is 'Does this group have a FAQ list?'

I will try to maintain such a list, since it seems that it never really
happended before.  Quite a number of postings say 'this is for the FAQ' or even
'this is _in_ the FAQ' (RTFFAQ), so I guess a lot of you will have some
valuable input to this.  Since I do not myself know about all the frequent
issues that pop up, I need your help to make a FAQ list as complete as possible.

Below is a list of (1) frequent questions that I need your input to, (2)
frequent questions that I can probably reply myself, and (3) a missing list of
things that I missed as being freqently asked :-)

1. - Things I don't know very much about - your input is needed.

- Where do I get 3rd party hardware?

- What is needed to make GNU emacs compile?

- How about GNU C?

- Problems with X-windows, including X11R4 issues.

2. - This I do know something about - your input is welcome.

- Tricks around the C-compiler, alloca, ANSI-ness, BSD-issues.

- Why do I get 'linker killed by signal 9'

- Operating system issues.

- Who has a termcap to the HFT terminal?

3. - Things I did not know was a FAQ - your input is needed.

A few notes:

- I hate non-domain addresses.  If I try to mail to joesmachine!joe and it
  bounces, I don't care, don't try any uucp path, and don't post 'where is joe'.
  At least, I expect reliable From: or Reply-To: addresses.

- I won't mail the FAQ list - if you want it, get access to news.

- If you want to contribute anonymously, let me know.  But I need to know who
  you are.

- All input must be E-mailed to me at bengsig at oracle.com or
  bengsig at dk.oracle.com - both will end in my mailbox.  If you insists on
  using an old-fashined uucp address you can use oracle!bengsig.
--
Bjorn Engsig, ORACLE Corporation, E-mail: bengsig at oracle.com, bengsig at oracle.nl