Mail notification under csh on R6000?

Eric Behr ejbehr at rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu
Mon Apr 1 15:22:46 AEST 1991

johnson at horta.rice.edu (Bruce Johnson) writes:
>While mail notification seems to work fine under ksh, we have
>been unable to get it to work under csh, which many of our
>users use as their login shell.  Putting the environmental
>variable MAIL to, e.g., "5 /usr/spool/mail/username" as described
>in the "man pages" for csh doesn't seem to accomplish much.  Is
>this a FAQ?

Sure is for me - most replies I received were "MAIL should do the trick".
Our comsat notifies user X when user Y's mail arrives, and nothing (biff,
MAIL) seems to do the "You-have-mail-on-login-trick". Did IBM, perchance,
screw up in a major way ??? 8-()    Please summarize if you get a working
fix. Thanks!

--
Eric Behr, Illinois State University, Mathematics Department
Internet: ejbehr at rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu    Bitnet: ebehr at ilstu