RS 6000/Amdahl link wanted

Christian Motz cmo at softpro.stgt.sub.org
Thu Apr 18 10:49:05 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar26.040005.28153 at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> mcover at magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Mark Coverdill) writes:

>This one may be off the beaten path and in entirely the wrong newsgroup

Could be, could be ... ;-)

>but here goes:
>
>Local Environment:  RS 6000/320, AIX v3.1 3001
>Remote Environment: Amdahl MVS/XA, VTAM 2.4, TSO (I think, go easy
>                    because I know very little about mainframes)

Same here. But then again, who does or actually wants to ...

>We Want: A permanent connection between the Amdahl and the RS with the
>         ability to run interactive TSO, CICS and file transfers.
>
>We Have: Established a serial line between the two and are running a
>         package from _Systems_Strategies_ called Express 3270 which
>         which emulates the 3270 on the RS.

>The Problem: Express 3270 has a built-in file transfer protocol that
>             requires the IND$FILE program (the Amdahl has this, it is
>             version 1.1.1) but to date I have not had a successful file
>             transfer.  The RS side appears to functioning properly but
>             the mainframe side is either not sending properly or who
>             knows...

Actually this should also be the solution. IND$FILE file transfers
usually work just fine. Maybe you should talk to your local VTAM
guru and have him check out the VTAM definitions for your /6000,
in particular the LOGMODE used for your terminal sessions (i.e.
logical units). To be able to run the IND$FILE file transfer, the
so called "query bit" needs to be set (I think that was the problem,
but then again, I might be wrong).

>The Request: Anybody with *any* knowledge and experience in this area
>             would be helpful. Remember I have very little mainframe
>             knowledge so take it slooow and spell everything out.
>             Please email and I will summarize if there is sufficient
>             interest.

Uhm, I hope this helps. I would have mailed, but after I had to re-
install our USENET machine the sendmail configuration was wiped out
so I can't at the moment.

>The Anticipation Answer: No, we cannot use TCP/IP right now for
>                         various reasons and I've heard the response
>                         Kermit?...whats that?

"Kermit? Now wasn't that the frog from Sesame Street ..."

(Probable answer from any dinosaur keeper ... uhm, mainframe admin.)

--
SOFTPRO doesn't speak for me, and I do not speak for SOFTPRO. So what?

                              Christian Motz, cmo at softpro.stgt.sub.org