dd | remsh dd under AIX 1.2

John F Haugh II jfh at greenber.austin.ibm.com
Fri Apr 12 06:44:04 AEST 1991

In article <17290 at sunquest.UUCP> jew at rt.sunquest.com (J.E.Ward) writes:
>I have tried several times and ways today to do something I've done on
>lots of other machines with no problem, essentially:
>
>dd bs=1024k if=/dev/rmt0 | remsh HostWithTapeDrive dd bs=1024k of=/dev/rmt0

[ stuff deleted ]

>Can anyone tell me why this doesn't work?  As I said before, I've done
>this sort of thing in the past on other systems with no problem.
>Thanks in advance...

The read by "dd" on the remote side isn't reading 1024K most likely,
so when the third record rolls around, it writes some odd amount.

Try the following -

dd bs=1024k if=/dev/rmt0 | \
	remsh HostWithTapeDrive 'cat | dd ibs=1b obs=1024k of=/dev/rmt0'

I've used this in the past on random collections of AIX systems and it
works just fine.
--
John F. Haugh II      |      I've Been Moved     |    MaBellNet: (512) 838-4340
SneakerNet: 809/1D064 |          AGAIN !         |      VNET: LCCB386 at AUSVMQ