troff -t on AIX3.1?

Ronald S Woan woan at nowhere
Wed Apr 17 03:24:55 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr16.132006.1015 at dartvax.dartmouth.edu> paw at eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Pat Wilson) writes:
>Well, you're right that "troff filename" prints to stdout, so perhaps
>I can use this as a workaround.  Most troff's that I'm familiar with
>(and that documented in the BSD manuals) output to the
>"phototypsetter" *unless* one uses the -t option to divert to stdout.
>Maybe the way it's done here makes more sense, but it's _not_ the way
>it's historically been done, which is a bit annoying when you're in a
>heterogenous environment...

All ditroffs that I have seen behave this way, so you will encounter
this more and more as the old CAT troffs are retired. Anyway, blame it
on AT&T or else buy their DWB for all of your systems and then they'll
all behave this way... :-)

This is nothing compared to when I went from the old awk to nawk and
had to start figuring out what the incompatibilities that were killing
off my old scripts were...
+ Ronald S. Woan                woan at cactus.org or woan at austin.vnet.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +