X11r4 on Xstations ... version mismatch?

Jason Heirtzler jdh at bu-pub.bu.edu
Sat Apr 13 12:56:56 AEST 1991

In article <11012 at ncar.ucar.edu>, pack at acd.acd.ucar.edu (Daniel Packman) writes:
|> I recently installed Xwindow software version 1.2 on an RS6000/530
|> running AIX 3.1.x002 (we still await 3.1.5).  The Xstation 120 (system
|> version 1.3) works fine with the default "bootfile".  According to
|> the README file, one can use "bootfile1" if you have enough memory
|> and this will allow one to run X11r4.  Going through the procedure
|> in the README, the system fails on bootup.  Specifically,
|>    bootp operates normally
|>    tftp  seems to download properly
|> then the message "unable to connect to fileserver" appears on the top
|> of the screen.

I have the exact same problem here with both our Xstation 120 and
Xstation 130!  When I called Austin there were three (!) different
answers:

   Some people report success with 3003
   You need to run 3004
   It's not supported until 3005

Are there any developers in Austin who can shed some light on the
true story?  This is particularly troubling since I've heard rumors
that IBM won't start volume shipments of 3005 for about a week.  The
call ID of my problem is 6X049.  Please, help me out here.

jdh

Jason Heirtzler           (617) 353-2780       jdh at bu-pub.bu.edu
Information Technology    Boston University    ..!bu.edu!bu-pub!jdh