AIX compliance?

Mark Brown mbrown at testsys.austin.ibm.com
Sat Apr 13 01:30:45 AEST 1991

> Can AIX be considered either Sys V or BSD Unix compliant? I gather
> that its really neither, and that IBM has decided to essentially
> develop its own independent version of Unix, but I'd appreciate
> comments from those who are more in the know than I am.

AIXv3.1 meets SVID (Base); it also meets 1003.1 and XPG3.
Essentially, this makes it a SysV-style system.

While there is no such thing as "BSD Unix compliant" (does Berkeley do
verification testing?), V3.1 has a *lot* of BSD stuff added in - including
separate libraries to handle routines that differ/conflict with SysV
(wait(), signal()...). We are adding more even as we go along.

I still have complaints cross my desk of the form "ps sorts things the
ATT way, not the BSD way, so even though ps has the BSD options it
isn't BSD"...but I'm not at all ashamed of our BSD abilities, given
we started with a SysV.2 system.

Mark Brown    IBM PSP Austin, TX.     (512) 823-3741   VNET: MBROWN at AUSVMQ
MAIL: mbrown at testsys.austin.ibm.com OR uunet!testsys.austin.ibm.com!mbrown
		Which came first: The Chicken or the Legba?
      DISCLAIMER: Any personal opinions stated here are just that.