Sendmail connecting to itself! Help?

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.tcc.com
Fri Apr 5 01:57:06 AEST 1991

In article <16986 at sunquest.UUCP> jew at rt.sunquest.com (/87336) writes:

>Please help me with this problem if you can.  I am trying to get sendmail to
>send to other hosts on the internet.  I am running AIX PS/2 1.2 on a PS/2
>Model 70.  Everything works fine except outbound mail.  It seems that sendmail
>connects back to the same machine instead of the destination machine:

>AIX instfe 2.1> mail -v jew at alpha
[...stuff deleted...]

>jew at alpha... Connecting to alpha.sunquest.com (tcp)...
>220 instfe.sunquest.com Sendmail 5.61-AIX-1.2/1.0 ready at Wed...

There is only one reason I can think of that this would be happening and
that is that sendmail is getting an MX from some nameserver pointing at
instfe as the forwarder for alpha. You could try invoking sendmail directly
using a -d option and look at the nameserver debug info. Of course, this
assumes you are using nameservice, but if you aren't then I would really
be at a loss to explain this. One other test that would be illuminating
is to try mailing out of your domain, try jackv at seas.ucla.edu (yes, I
will forgive the test mail :-}).

If you still can't resolve this, send me email on your progress and I will
attempt further suggestions. jackv at locus.com is the prefered address.
Good luck.

Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer.

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at turnkey.TCC.COM