DOS NFS Clients (particularly for IBM 6000)

Peter Elford pte900 at jatz.aarnet.edu.au
Mon Jan 21 11:35:56 AEST 1991

Our parent organisation is about to purchase an IBM RISC/6000 system
to act as a file server for a IBM Token Ring with DOS workstations.
The LAN is connected to the Internet, and it is required that the
workstations have access to IP services (like mail - probably via POP,
telnet, ftp, etc).

The options (as I see them) for providing the LAN services under AIX are:

1) AIX Access for DOS Users (AADU)

	The "old" way of doing things, proprietary.

2) LAN Manager

	Either through LM Server (from Syntax), or LMX from IBM due RSN.
	The "new" way of doing things, maybe a bit too fancy/expensive.

3) NFS

	Open, "just" an add on to the IP services we will have to have
	on the DOS workstations anyway.

If we assume that NFS is the way to go (I'm happy to hear arguements to
the contrary), I have a few questions:

1) what NFS client (for DOS) are other sites using ? (I am currently
favouring FTP's Interdrive option for PC-TCP)

2) can the UNIX server backup disks on the DOS workstations ?

3) how do you support printer access ? Using lpr/lpd ?

I will summarise responses if I get a reasonable number of them,

Thanks,

Peter Elford,                           	e-mail: P.Elford at aarnet.edu.au
Network Co-ordinator,	 			phone: +61 6 249 3542
Australian Academic Research Network,		fax: +61 6 247 3425
c/o, Computer Services Centre,			post: PO Box 4
Australian National University			      Canberra 2601
Canberra, AUSTRALIA