Advice wanted on disk partitions

Kevin P. Kleinfelter kevin at msa3b.UUCP
Thu Jan 17 23:18:49 AEST 1991

rickert at mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:

>In article <457 at nwnexus.WA.COM> wjones at nwnexus.WA.COM (Warren Jones) writes:
>>We have a single hard disk on our system (an RS/6000 under AIX 3.1).
>>Can anyone explain the rational for dividing this disk into several
>>partitions, and then re-joining them (via mounts) into a single
>>directory structure?

> As soon as someone accidently (or deliberately) runs a looping program that
>completely fills a partition you will discover the benefits of multiple
>partitions.

Once in a while, after a power-outage or crash, fsck may not like a few inodes
here and there. :-)  If you have a lot of activity on a partition,
then that partition is most likely to have problems.  I have observed
fsck delete an awful lot of files from a /usr filesystem because of
problems caused by activity to /usr/adm/errlog (on a SYS V machine).
You can bet that I'm now a real believer in /usr/adm having its own
partition, to protect other partitions.

--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Dun and Bradstreet Software, Inc (404) 239-2347
{emory,gatech}!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

Soon to become {emory,gatech}!nanovx!dbses0!kevin  (But not yet!)