using rdump with 1/4 inch tape media

hubler at galaxy.lerc.nasa.gov hubler at galaxy.lerc.nasa.gov
Wed Jan 9 00:07:05 AEST 1991

> DH> I can easily backup the 75 Meg onto one DC600 cartridge (in QIC 120
> DH> format).  The same 75 Meg requires 4 cartridges when I use rdump to
> DH> backup across the network.
>
> the tape operates in
>stop-and-go mode, significantly reducing its capacity. In the manual of the
>tape, there is a picture saying the capacity is reduced from 150 MB to 30 MB
>when operated in non-streaming mode. I personally have trouble believing this
>relation, especially at large block sizes, but its given in IBM's docs...

     Thanks for the reply, I guess I'll just have to carry the tape drive
from station to station if I don't want to drastically increase my tape
costs.  I wonder if I could convince IBM to put the SCSI port on the
front of our boxes?

Dale A. Hubler  --  Sverdrup Technology  --  (216) 977-7014
                                             hubler at galaxy.lerc.nasa.gov
****            Whip me, Beat me, Call me Edna                  *******