To SMIT or not to SMIT

John F Haugh II jfh at greenber.austin.ibm.com
Thu Jan 17 06:00:20 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan15.143208.25540 at cbnewsd.att.com> timborn at cbnewsd.att.com (timothy.d.born) writes:
>As for SMIT modifying ODM, I believe it, but I have been assured repeatedly
>by my IBM reps that SMIT is not doing things behind my back.  To quote
>from bos/README (3003; pretty much the same info was in 3002 README):

The SMIT command builds regular commands which it then executes.  To see
what SMIT is going to do to your system, look at the smit.log and smit.script
files, or press the <F6> key (it's marked "Command" or some such).  This will
let you see everything that SMIT is doing.

>So which is right?  SMIT does or does not play with ODM?

All that SMIT does with respect to ODM is get the dialogs from there.  In
/etc/objrepos there are several ODM classes which begin with "sm".  Those
are the ODM files which contain SMIT dialogs.  If you remove the part of
the name after "." you can use ODME to break^H^H^H^H^Hexamine the dialogs.
--
John F. Haugh II      |      I've Been Moved     |    MaBellNet: (512) 838-4340
SneakerNet: 809/1D064 |          AGAIN !         |      VNET: LCCB386 at AUSVMQ