Xstations and default terminal types

Andrew Dawson teexand at ioe.lon.ac.uk
Thu Jan 24 20:57:20 AEST 1991

In <1991Jan22.193710.14181 at unx2.ucc.okstate.edu> steve at unx2.ucc.okstate.edu (Steve Koinm) writes:

>I have two unrelated questions.

>First, I have some Xstation 120's.  If I plug these suckers in and power
>them up then they just sit there running through the numbers on the
>BOOTP - line.  I have let it sit for about 1.5 hours with nothing
>happening.  Is there something I need to set up on the RS/6000 to get it
>enabled to use this.

You need to install the X-station manager software if you haven't already, and
add the hardware address and hostname of the 120's using the xconfig script.

>Secondly, I have all of these people logging in on VT-type terminals and
>they always show up as IBM5801 terminals by default.  What do I need to
>change to get them to show up as vt100's.  I have modified the
>/etc/profile for those using ksh, but for the many using csh there is no
>system-wide file I can set up for them.

We have this problem when logging in via our telnet gateway. I am still trying
to work out where "ibm5081" is coming from, although the command:
   strings /etc/getty | grep
will find the string, so I have a horrible feeling that it may be hard coded
into getty. There doesn't seem to be a way of setting up terminal types for
/dev/pts/* devices (other unix machines use /etc/ttytype). If anyone does know
how to do this, I'd be interested in the details.

--
Andrew Dawson, Computer Centre, University College London, Gower Street,
London WC1E 6BT, England.