Help with NFS Apollo client/IBM server

Dennis Fazio dfazio at nachos.SSESCO.com
Wed Jan 30 07:01:18 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan23.165536.1548 at inel.gov> lin at sixmile.inel.gov (Linn Hower) writes:

>  I cannot get my Apollo DN10000, SR10.3, BSD to mount filesystems
>exported from IBM RISC/6000 Model 320, AIX Version 3.1 servers.
>When I try the mount, I get the `access denied' error.  Now I can

We had a similar problem a while ago. With some help from the support hotline,
we determined that Apollo doesn't support NFS as completely as others,
particularly in the areas of security.

We got things working by:
edit your /etc/rc.nfs file to change
        startsrc -s rpc.mountd
        startsrc -s rpc.mountd -a "-n"

This will start the mount daemon with a -n switch. This is the non-secure version.

We also had to comment out the startup of rpc.statd and rpc.lockd to prevent other
various problems.

Under these conditions, we can mount IBM filesystems on the Apollo and vice-versa.

Dennis Fazio                     | Internet: dfazio at ssesco.com
SSESCO, Inc.                     | Gabnet:   (612) 342-0003
511 11th Avenue South, Suite 268 | Faxnet:   (612) 344-1716
Minneapolis, Minnesota  55415    |