installp and inventory information

David J. Kleikamp/50000 dave at kleikamp.uucp
Wed Jan 23 21:14:05 AEST 1991

In article <1239 at unet.UUCP> alan at bach.net.com (Alan Phillips) writes:
>We are creating an "installp" compatible installation method for our
>application and have encountered a message that we are not really sure of the
>meaning of.  At the end of the installation procedure we get the following
>message:
>	lppchk: LPP <Application_Name> has no inventory information.
>
>We do not call lppchk from within out script "instal".  So the first question
>is:  "Where is lppchk invoked from"?  The next question is, what "inventory
>information" is lppchk referring to?  Are we missing some file in our
>liblpp.a library?  We have RTFM'ed but don't seem to find this information.

First of all, lppchk gets invoked if installp is called with the "-v" option.
Smit uses this flag by default.

"inventory" is an optional file in the liblpp.a library.  If it exists,
installp runs sysck creating the mentioned inventory information.  If you
can't find any info about the inventory file under the installp command, I
think the format is explained under the sysck command.

>Another installp curiosity that there is an obvious workaround for, but that we
>would like to understand, is why the existence of a file named "copyright"
>in /usr/lpp/<whatever> seems to block the execution of the script "instal".
>If the file "copyright" is there, the installation process will simply
>display the contents of this file and end, "instal" will never be executed.

I've never seen anything like that before.  All of the IBM-produced installp
images contain the copyright file.
David J. "Shaggy" Kleikamp	dave at kleikamp.austin.ibm.com
DISCLAIMER: The content of this posting is independent of official IBM position.
External: uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!kleikamp.austin.ibm.com!dave